Saturday, March 22, 2008

Movie Review: Evan Almighty










Evan Almighty (2007)
Starring: Steve Carell, Morgan Freeman, Lauren Graham, Wanda Sykes
Genre: Comedy
Plot: God contacts Congressman Evan Baxter and tells him to build an ark in preparation for a great flood.
My rating:


Movie Trailer



I had been wanting to see this movie ever since I heard about it. I'm not one to go to the theaters very often. While out shopping yesterday, I found a used copy of this DVD at f.y.e. and watched it tonight. It wasn't quite like I expected it to be, but I did enjoy this film. I liked it's predecessor, Bruce Almighty. Even though I am usually not a huge fan of Jim Carey's comedic roles, that movie was a good one. Evan Almighty was less comedy and more "feel-good" than I expected. Granted, the movie definitely had it's funny moments. Steve Carell made the most with what he was working with. There were quite a few small details that were funny, it you happened to catch them. I can't say this movie completely lived up to my expectations, but I would definitely recommend it because I still think it was a great film.

Some favorite quotes

Joan Baxter: Maybe God meant a flood of 'awareness.'
Evan Baxter: If that's true, I'm going to be so pissed.

God: Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?

God: One nation, under Me, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

No comments: